2nd Ex Oriente Film session: “Production & Story Development”
Venue: Jihlava, Czech Republic
Date: October 24 - 29, 2016 (within Jihlava IDFF)
The second workshop session focuses on budgeting, legal aspects of co-productions, strategies for selecting commissioning editors and other partners, challenges offered by digital era and cross-media projects, as well as a deeper creative development of the projects, the rough material and the documentary script. There is also a strong emphasis on the development of a project distribution strategy. Directors and producers take part in separate parallel sessions during which they improve different aspects of their project – directors should clarify the story and protagonists and strengthen the international dimension of the story, while producers should prepare their individual plans for film financing and consult their detailed budgets and funding sources (TV and non-TV funding overview).
Programme content of the Producers’ sessions:
- Developing a detailed financing strategy, finding a potential market for the film, collecting key contacts for potential broadcasters and co-producers;
- Preparing professional international budget and financing plan of the project;
- Film budget in relation to a financial plan;
- Co-productions with broadcasters and co-production budget structure between production companies;
- Pre-sale, sales and co-production contracts;
- Starting work on the professionally prepared “film pack”;
- How to develop and run a successful independent film production company (small company management) and how to effectively deal with the international funding system;
- Production tour of Europe - an analysis of the most important markets, festivals, broadcasters;
- Distribution and sales strategies available for creative documentaries;
- Basic legal aspects of international co-production;
Programme content of the Director’s sessions:
- Work on the film treatment and script;
- In-depth analysis of the research material regarding the approach to protagonists and visual style;
- Practical work on the trailer (video treatment)
- Lecture on staging, re-enactments and composition in documentary film
- Inspirational lectures and masterclasses dedicated to visual approach in documentary filmmaking and to documentary scriptwriting and others.
As well as several networking events, the second session includes also selected parts of Jihlava IDFF industry programme.