3rd Ex Oriente Film session: Market, here I am!
Venue: Prague, Czech Republic
Date: March 6 - 12, 2021 (within East Doc Platform, organized in association with One World International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival)
The third session will deal mainly with practical skills that are necessary for the presentation of the project and the pitching. However, its tutoring framework will focus mainly on distribution plan and sales, post-pitching negotiation techniques for documentaries, as well as communication strategies to get European/ North American broadcasters and funders involved in the project. Theoretical parts of the session will discuss specific examples of international co-production through case studies presented by commissioning editors, producers and distributors.
Focus and topics covered by the 3rd workshop session:
- Professionally prepared “film pack” and a solid film trailer that can be offered to any international broadcaster, sales company, distributor, festival, etc.;
- Finalizing of pitching trailers;
- Formulating a presentation strategy;
- Training in pitching techniques, post-pitching negotiations;
- How to involve commissioning editor, how to communicate with European TV broadcasters;
- How to find a suitable sales agent, distributor;
- What to do after pitching – how to work with the feedback from commissioning editors, sales agents, distributors and film funds;
- Marketing and distribution of completed creative documentary films;
- Pre-sale, sales, co-production contracts and how to avoid mistakes;
- Case studies and screenings of successful East-West Coproduction;
- How to continue at different pitching sessions, festivals and international markets;
- Networking and industry events hosted by One World IHRDFF
After four days of the training dedicated to marketing and pitching preparation the participants will be pitching their project to a panel of more than 250 decision makers coming from all around the world in the frame of the East Doc Platform, the largest event dedicated to documentary film of Central and Eastern Europe. It will be followed by feedback round tables and one-on-one meetings with international decision makers that are designed to enhance funding potential of the attending projects.