Among the tutors of the 2nd session of Ex Oriente Film 2020 (online, October 19–24) are consultant Claire Aguilar, editor Joe Bini (Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn and We Need to Talk About Kevin) and director Hanna Polak (The Children of Leningradsky, Something Better to Come).
Guest tutors of the 2nd session of the Oriente Film 2020 workshop:
○ Joe Bini is an American film editor living in London best known for his collaboration with Werner Herzog on numerous documentaries and narrative films over twenty years, including: Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997), Grizzly Man (2005), Rescue Dawn (2007), Encounters at the End of the World (2007), Into the Abyss (2011) and Into the Inferno (2016). He has also collaborated with Marina Zenovich (Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, 2008), Andrea Arnold (American Honey, 2016) and Lynne Ramsay (We Need to Talk About Kevin, 2011; You Were Never Really Here, 2017).
○ Claire Aguilar has worked on many documentaries as a commissioning editor and editorial consultant, including Waltz with Bashir by Ari Folman, Steve James’s The Interrupters, Frederick Wiseman’s State Legislature, The Invisible War by Kirby Dick etc. She co-curated the Emmy and Peabody awarded series Independent Lens, PBS’s prominent showcase of independently produced films. She recently executive produced Final Account by Luke Holland, which premiered at the Venice Film Festival 2020. Worked at IDA and Sheffield Doc/Fest. Currently Vice President of the Board of Women Make Movies.
○ Hanna Polak is a Polish director, producer and cinematographer. For her short documentary film, The Children of Leningradsky, about a community of homeless children living in the Leningradsky railway station in Moscow, she was nominated for an Academy Award and an Emmy Award. In 2003, she was awarded Best Producer of Documentary Movies at the Kraków Film Festival for Railway Station Ballad. In 2014, her film Something Better To Come received the IDFA Special Jury Award, and won main prizes at several film festivals
○ Anaïs Clanet – Paris-based documentary sales agent Anaïs Clanet, who previously operated under the banner of Wide House, has launched a new company called Reservoir Docs. The veteran documentary sales agent is a respected figure in the international documentary scene whose recent titles have included I Am Not Your Negro and Talking About Trees.
○ Andrea Hock – Andrea worked in several marketing agencies in Austria and in the Public Relations department at the Cultural Secretary in Oaxaca, Mexico, before joining the Autlook team as a Festival Manager. Since 2009 Andrea is in charge of worldwide TV Sales at Autlook, together with her colleague Salma Abdalla. In her position she attends all important TV markets, festivals and pitching forums.
○ Sean McAllister – From his early films Working For The Enemy (1997) and The Minders (1998), Sundance Jury Prize-winning The Liberace Of Baghdad (2004) and Japan: A Story Of Love And Hate (2008) to his more recent successes, The Reluctant Revolutionary (2012), Sheffield Jury Prize winning, BAFTA nominated A Syrian Love Story (2015), and now A Northern Soul (2018) Sean’s work continues to inspire, to surprise and to fascinate audiences.
○ Siniša Juričić – Producer of award-winning films, such as Ilian Metev's Last Ambulance in Sofia and Peter Kerekes's Velvet Terrorists. He founded the Nukleus Film in 2009, and Nukleus Film Slovenia in 2012. Since 2013, he has established Jaako Dobra Produkcija (JDP) as a production company focused only on co-productions and production services. The current focus is on the production of films by talented filmmakers from Southeast Europe in order to realize their full international potential and recognition.
○ Dr. Stefan Rüll – advocate and mediator with many years of experience in film and television industry, worked as director and legal consultant in German production and distribution companies
The lead tutors of the 2nd Ex Oriente Film 2020 workshop are documentary expert Mikael Opstrup, producer and consultant Iikka Vehkalahti, director and script editor Ivana Pauerová Miloševič and director and producer Filip Remunda.
The 2nd Ex Oriente Film 2020 workshop is kindly supported by the U.S. Embassy in the Czech Republic and American Film Showcase. Workshop partners are FAMU and Ji.hlava IDFF.
[Edited on October 12, 2020]