During the East Doc Platform 2019 (March 9–15), the third edition of Ex Oriente Film 2018 workshop series will take place and 12 projects will be among the 21 presented at the prestigious East Doc Forum.
Ex Oriente Film is an international training programme for documentary professionals supporting the development and funding of creative documentary films from Central and Eastern Europe. Ex Oriente Film programme includes lectures and masterclasses open to the public. See it here.
The lead tutors of the 3rd Ex Oriente Film 2018 workshop are programme director of EDN Mikael Opstrup, consultant and producer Iikka Vehkalahti, director and script editor Ivana Pauerová Miloševičová and director and producer Filip Remunda.
• Director Christian Frei – considered one of today’s most innovative and compelling documentary filmmakers. He was nominated for an Academy Award with War Photographer (2001) and won the World Cinema Directing Award at Sundance with Space Tourists (2009). His latest film, Genesis 2.0, which he co-directed with Maxim Arbugaev, got Special Jury Award for Cinematography at Sundance. It follows attempt to extract DNA from wooly mammoth tusks found in Siberia.
• Director Mila Turajlić – directed and produced award-winning films The Other Side of Everything and Cinema Komunisto
• Director Marta Prus – her latest film Over the Limit was screened at numerous festivals all over the world, including IDFA and Hot Docs, and received several awards
• Director Lukáš Kokeš – his feature documentaries include Fortress and Nothing Like Before (co-directed with Klára Tasovská), currently nominated for both Czech Lions and Czech Film Critics' Awards
• Producer Torstein Parelius – his latest projects include Wars Don't End (2018, prod.), Boys Who Like Girls (2018, co-prod.) and Rockabul (2018, co-prod.), Torstein is an outreach producer for UpNorth Film
• Director and editor Stan Neumann – started his film career as an editor and makes inventively constructed documentaries on culture and history (e.g. Photo: A History from Behind the Lens, Apparatchiks & Businessmen)
• Editor Phil Jandaly – working as an editor and consultant out of Sweden, his projects have originated in places as far afield as Serbia, Kenya, France, and Korea, including award winning international productions like Prison Sisters, Killing Time and Liberation Day
• Editor Sandra Bastašić – works as an editor on different film genres and forms, her latest film is Days of Madness (dir. Damian Nenadić)
• Producer Jiří Konečný – producer and owner of ENDORFILM, a company focused mainly on producing films for cinema, incl. Aferim!, 5 October and Little Harbour
• Festival representative Harry Vaughn – programmer for the Sundance Film Festival, specializing in US and World documentary features
• Sales agent Aleksandar Govedarica – is in charge of sales & acquisitions of Syndicado: e.g. A Woman Captured (Sundance, IDFA), The Next Guardian (IDFA) and Taste of Cement (IDFA, Visions du Réel)
Ex Oriente Film 2018 projects:
Alice in Mother's Land (dir. Zhanna Agalakova, Tatjana Božić, prod. Magdalena Petrović, HR, DE, USA)
A Loss of Something Ever Felt (dir. Carlos Eduardo Lesmes López, prod. Liis Nimik, CO, EE, SE)
Myth (dir. Daria Yurkevich, prod. Iarochenko Nicolaï / Russian Affair Production, Louis Beaudemont / Les Steppes Productions, BY, FR)
Bottlemen (dir. Nemanja Vojinović, prod. Nemanja Vojinović, Marija Stojnić, RS)
Fragile Memory (dir. Ihor Ivanko, prod. Ihor Ivanko, Mariia Ponomarova / Burlaka Films, UA)
In the Sweltering Sun (dir. & prod. Shorena Tevzadze, GE)
Love Lines (dir. Isabela von Tent, prod. Irina Malcea, RO)
A New Shift (dir. Jindřich Andrš, prod. Augustína Micková, Miloš Lochman, CZ)
Olympic Halftime (dir. Haruna Honcoop, prod. Vít Janeček, Zuzana Piussi, CZ)
The Pit (dir. Nikolay Bem, prod. Uliana Beletskaya, RU)
One Dying Star (dir. Tea Lukač, prod. Danilo Bećković, Marko Paljić, Andrijana Sofranić, RS, SI)
Wolves on the Borders! (dir. Martin Páv, prod. Zuzana Kučerová, CZ)
See all the projects selected for the East Doc Platform 2019 here.